Understanding Vein Disease
Prevalence of Venous Disease
More than 30 million Americans suffer from varicose veins or a more serious form of venous disease called Chronic Venous Insufficiency (CVI).
Of the over 30 million Americans affected:
- Only 1.9 million seek treatment annually.
- Given the common misconception that varicose veins are a cosmetic issue, the majority affected do not seek treatment.
- The vast majority remain undiagnosed and untreated.
Prevalence by Age and Gender
It is estimated that in America, 72% of women and 42% of men will experience varicose veins by the time they are in their 60s.
Venous Reflux Disease
Progressive condition caused by poor return of blood from the legs to the heart.
- Leg or ankle pain, aching, cramping, swelling, heaviness, or fatigue
- Varicose veins
- Skin changes or ulcers
- Standing for long periods of time
- Family history
- Sedentary lifestyle